Thursday, September 14, 2006

Fall Music

This is the start of my Fall Music posts. For this one we have three bands and three seperate CD's. If you like original music that surprises you and affects you emotionally, then these three might be for you:

*
The Mars Volta - Amputechture

This CD lacks the focus the concept album format afforded their last effort, but there is more of the sense of a journey. The first song is reminiscent of Frances the Mute, and truly, the album can seem B-Sides of that Mute until "Asilos Magdalena" forces it off track. This new direction explodes into "Viscera Eyes" and through the last two songs. The second listen yields less of a Mute feel and retells the album as something wholly new and different. The conversation between guitar solos and Cedric Bixler-Zavala's better than ever vocals plays prominently into "Viscera Eyes", but runs more subtly throughout the entire album. Astounding. Their fourth album is as good as the rest, and still so different.

*
mewithoutYou - Brother, Sister

I am brimming with teenage glee over the coming of this CD. September 26th. I bought their first CD, [A--->B] of Life, the day it came out on accident: I liked the artwork and happened to be shopping then. Their second CD, Catch for us the Foxes, came out in September 2004 and I remember buying it in Totem Lake the day it came out on purpose, putting it in the CD changer in my car, driving to school in Bothell, and I honestly haven't taken it out since - it has stayed in my car for two years. No other CD has ever come close. They are truly, truly original on the same scale as Clann Zu and The Mars Volta. The powerfully personal lyrics mix well with their originality to provide stunningly savage and soft songs every time.

*
Broken Social Scene - Broken Social Scene

An ensemble cast of musicians dig their fingers into the sounds of Canada's Broken Social Scene. Each song is a a a piece of an album crafted with overarching themes and sounds, but varying widely in their uses song to song. That make sense? Didn't think so. Their standard is progression. I think that's all that can be said about them. Also, I can't stop listening to this album - I have it on for homework, parties, cleaning, waking up, and going to bed. It is perfect. It is surprising. It is the only one of their albums that I have heard. It is making me buy the rest of their work.

No comments: