Sunday, November 05, 2006

24 Hour Recap

The 24 Hours of Poetry was just what I needed to get excited about my own writing again. I created a character who, despite only two pages being written about him, has come alive to me already, like no other character has. I realized a couple hours into the write that a reason I have such a hard time with fiction is that I try to write about what I don't know - I need some constraints or else I write stuff that bores me. I think I overcame that in writting the character. I don't think I will ever fully get over trying to write about what I don't know, but I did temporarily and I loved the results. I also started a poem I had been thinking about for a long time and it immediately changed into a sequence of found poems in tribute to Estelo PadrĂ³n. I did not get enough editing done, nor did I get a start on the paper, but I am very happy with how the night progressed.

Sincerely,
ATY

No comments: