Monday, February 19, 2007

Totom's With Boots

Mashups. Let's talk.

I too cringed when first I heard Eminem's "Sing for the Moment." I don't think I have ever quite recovered. But,

the way I see it there are four categories of mashups:

First off, you gots these ones that make the kids say, "Omigosh! I like, totally know those songs. It's weird hearing them together." Examples: "Boulevard of Wonderwalls" and the entire Beastles collection. (Yes, The Beatles and Beastie Boys)(Somebody save us)

Second, you got the mashups where you can't tell - it just sounds like mediocre rap with a crappy beat. Examples: The Kleptones, the Q-Unit, and DJ Dangermouse. You get some good stuff here though: Yoshimi Battles the Hip-Hop Robots and The Grey Album.

Third you have mix-tapes like Aphex Twin and CPI. Some truly great stuff comes out of here, but there is so much it's hard to find something original. I dig Poetry is for Fairies.

Finally you have the that actually sounds like music. Here we're seeing Gnarls Barkley, Legion of Doom, and J.L. of the Silence Experiments on Hotstop A+B. But one of my favorites is Totom.

Totom's With Boots, a series of Nine Inch Nails mashups, has the best bits of the first three categories and a stunning replay ability that propels it fully into the fourth and highest ring of mashup Paradisimo. This is actually music. It has fun parts, but it keeps moving along with great choices of background mixes that make me wonder how he came up with crossing Depeche Mode, Lee Hazlewood, David Bowie and others with Trent Reznor and Nine Inch Nails. It highlights many of NIN's strengths and influences through its good production and mixing. This is one of my favorite mashup albums.

No comments: