Thursday, March 29, 2007

Dante

And now the notes of anguish start to play
upon my ears; and now i find myself
where sounds on sounds of weeping pound at me.

I came to a place where no light shone at all,
bellowing like the sea racked by a tempest,
when warring winds attack it from both sides.

The infernal storm, eternal in its rage,
sweeps and drives the spirits with its blast:
it whirls them, lashing them with punishment.

When they are swept back past their place of judgment,
then come the shrieks, laments, and anguished cries;
there they blaspheme God's almighty power.



+++



-The Divine Comedy: Inferno: Canto V: 25-36
translated by Mark Musa

I'm sorry for forgetting you. I've read reread reread you so many times I have begun to take for granted your presence in my pen.

While not completely ignoring rhyme, Mark Musa's five-stressed syllable line translation values and captures a power and an emotion that is notably missing in many other translations.

No comments: