Wednesday, March 14, 2007

HBO's Carnivàle


The definitave list of TV shows I like:

Fawlty Towers - The best. Hands down.

Nip/Tuck - The first few episodes sucked, but the last half of the first season and then the entire second season were good.

Conan O'Brien - I love me some orange hair.

The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - Throughout my life a debate has raged among the men my age: Who is funnier, Stewart or O'Brien?

Seinfeld - But not any but the first season of Curb Your Enthusiasm.

League of Gentlemen - So out there and it works so well.

Mr. Bean - Rowan Atkinson. 'Nuff said.

Band of Brothers - Good. Not great.

The Office - British version. Every scene in the US one without Dwight makes me sick.

And the latest addition:


Carnivàle - Okay, so I've only seen the first season. The second season is for this coming weekend. But so far this is good. Not great. Good. Some stuff is a bit laughable, corny, and some of the acting falls short. But I don't know what attracts me more: the storyline or the meticulous attention to period detail which creates perfect costumes, mise-en-scène, and personalities. Whatever it is, this show rises above HBO's usual shortfalls and the second season has the possibility of making it great.

The story is based off of this: "Into each generation is born a creature of light and a creature of darkness."
- Sampson, opening scene

The show then follows two main characters. Brother Justin is a First Methodist Pastor in California. Ben Hawkins is a farmer-slash-murderer in Milfay. The Carnival picks Ben up and the enigmatic Management wants to keep him on full time. The Carnival is so full of characters that the first few episodes are downright perfect. The first few episodes also give hints (both ways) as to which was born of light and which of dark. Then it gets deep, and freaky. And addicting.

(The modern day Moses metaphor doesn't need to be understood to enjoy the show. To tell you the truth, I don't even really think of it that way while I'm watching it. But I will look back on it with the Biblical glasses after this weekend.)

There are only two seasons and if anybody gives the second one away before I watch it I will ensure the fleas of a million camels infest your pubic area. I will ensure.

No, I haven't yet seen Twin Peaks. It's on my list.

No comments: