Monday, November 26, 2007

Welcome Back From Thanksgiving Break

Question: Is 9:36 AM too early for a beer?

Answer: New Belgium Brewing is one of my favorite breweries on the west coast. Their new winter seasonal ale, 2° Below, is another in their line of seasonal ales. Springboard, their spring seasonal, is my favorite brew of theirs so I was looking forward to trying 2° Below. At first it tasted like a crisper version of Widmer's Snow Plow, overly malty and molassesy. But after half the bottle the hops really started to open up and the molasses receeded nicely. Unlike a lot of winter seasonals, all three tastes (threshold, body, and final) are superb. But like most winter seasonals, all three are quite different.

I give it a 3 out of 5 initially but I could see the rest of that six pack pushing it up a little higher.

No comments: