Tuesday, December 18, 2007

The Console War: Update

Reggie Fils-Aime went and confirmed my fear that enough great Wii games are not going to come out in 2008 to curb my addiction, saying that the business plan they announced at E3 2007 (Paraphrase: The success of the Wii depends on us getting great games in the hands of gamers) is put on hold until "supply and demand curves intersect." He said that "We at Nintendo America are focused on getting to the point when any consumer can walk into any of our retailers and find a Wii. Then we can plan, on an ongoing basis, the rest of the business," which Reuters interpreted as meaning, "Unable to accurately forecast how many Wiis will be sold in the coming months, Nintendo is finding it difficult to plan for new games."

Read the article here.

Why this matters: The Wii is so cheap that people like me are able to rock two consoles from this generation. Also, the admittance that they will focus on production until they meet demand means that they are creating a huge hype bubble that will burst on them once people realize that there are only a handful of great Wii games.

Why this doesn't matter at all: The Wii has two built in backup plans for this: the virtual console and GameCube compatibility. I can rock GC and VC games for ages, all the while waiting for great Wii games to release. Right now I am about five or six chapters into Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and loving it. I've got Donkey Kong Country 2, Super Mario World, Super Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Super Metroid, Metroid, and Metroid Prime to beat and I am planning on buying Metroid Prime 2: Echoes and some of the Hitman games for GC. This is enough for me. Plus, I usually can't afford to drop $50-$60 on a new game when it comes out. I usually have to save up first.

Final Analysis: The Wii is the casual gamers console. This business plan will work for casual gamers. It works for me at least.

No comments: