Monday, December 17, 2007

The Console War: Wii vs. PS3 vs. XBox 360

I am a gamer. Not a big gamer, mostly just a casual gamer. That should be no surprise to any of you who have noticed that I have a blog dedicated to a single game: GT4. I grew up playing computer games, the original GameBoy, and the wonderful SNES. I still play the last two and I still haven't beat "A Link to the Past." I would love to play more computer games (Crysis, Age of Empires 3, Bioshock, Call of Duty 4) but I cannot afford to upgrade my computer system for gaming right now so I stick to console games.

What am I interested in as far as games go? Anything where the gameplay is fun. I don't like Halo: it's just annoying - there's a room of bad guys, then a hallway, then another room of bad guys ad naseum. (However, the outside levels of the original Halo are fun but too few) I like the original Ghost Recon, all the Gran Turismos, Mario, Zelda, Age of Empires, Metroid Prime, Myst, Knights of the Old Republic, et cetera. I don't really like games that make you save the galaxy, or the planet, or humanity, unless they are fun. That is why I bought a Wii. I thought the Wii would have the fun games.

And I am happy with my purchase. I have had the Wii for about six months now and it is great! I Love Metroid Prime 3, Zelda Twilight Princess, Wii sports, the virtual console, and Gamecube compatibility. The Wii has definitely won the console war up to now. But what about next year? What about 2008?

My prediction is, if the Wii does not get more good games, the PS3 will take over. The XBox 360 is out because the only great game it has exclusively is Mass Effect.

The Wii has had eight: Metroid Prime 3, Zelda Twilight Princess, Mario Galaxy, Super Paper Mario, Zack and Wiki, WiiSports, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, and Nights: Journey of Dreams. Upcoming is No More Heroes, Mario Cart, and Smash Bros. That is a great past, but a not too bright future. Nobody knows all the games that are going to come out though, and I would bet at least another three great Wii games come out this year besides those listed.

The PS3 has had four great exclusive games: Resistance: Fall of Man, Folklore, Uncharted, and Ratchet and Clank. Heavenly Sword was good but too short. So why will I be buying a PS3? Because of the games that are coming out: GT5, Echochrome, Little Big Planet, and PixelJunk Monsters top the list of my most anticipated exclusives while Metal Gear Solid 4, God of War 3, and Final Fantasy XIII finish the list of exclusives for me but there's also a little game I'll be skipping called GTA IV that people seem to adore.

The PS3 games coming out are much more fun than Smash Bros, or No More Heroes. Watching the trailers for Little Big Planet makes me salivate. Echochrome is astoundingly simple and challenging, GT5 is an obsession of mine, and PixelJunk looks absolutely amazing. This is why the PS3 will win next year. Nobody really cares about delays or how much processor power is present, gamers care about the games. If the games are fun, they will be played, no matter who puts them out on what console. So in the last round of console wars, the PS2 and the XBox won. In this round I predict the Wii and the PS3. And it all comes down to fun.

1 comment:

Anthony Nguyen said...

I just got a PS3 recently. I wanted to use it as a media box as well, but the abilities are very limited right now.. other than that the games need to start coming out sooner to justify my purchase.. but so far it's got alot of potential. I like it alot!