Sunday, January 11, 2009

More 2008 Cypress Trees Awards

Best 99¢ Spent in 2008:


So we had a nice big, hardbound edition of this when I was younger, but I didn't understand the words so I never read it. To me it's an important step in writing, this book is. I can see traces of it in Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Johnson, and almost everybody else who came after Crane. Read it in a day or two.

Runner-Ups:
Diablo II
Two Bowls from Goodwill
Tea
Architecture in Helsinki's "That Beep"

+++

Favorite Hookah Discovery of 2008:


Mix 50% Strawberry and 50% Raspberry

Runner-Ups:
Leila Travel Hookah
Hobohookah

+++

Favorite Books I Read For the First Time in 2008 (In No Particular Order):

Stephen Crane's The Red Badge of Courage
William Gibson's Neuromancer - Read it. I did.
Rebecca Loudon's Cadaver Dogs - The titular poem is the only poem I know of to induce physical reactions in me no matter how many times I read it. And the rest of the book lives up to that poem.
Robert Knutson's Shadow Divers - The most fascinating deep-wreck diving book I've ever read. And it's about a submarine to boot!
Jared Leising's The Widows and Orphans of Winesburg, Ohio - He has been a hero of mine for some time. Now more so after reading this.
Rem Koolhaas' S, M, L, XL - Reviewed it here.
Martin Heidegger's Poetry, Language, Thought - The famous "fourfold" chapter titled "Building, Dwelling, Thinking" is definitely worth checking out the entire book for.
Weiss/Manfredi's Surface/Subsurface - The second book by one of my favorite firms is spectacular.

1 comment:

Justin Brower said...

strawberry and raspberry shisha, nice mix I'll have to try it out