Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Dear China Miéville: Thank You


This isn't a critique on your book or a sappy fan letter. I merely wanted to write you and say thank you for including a couple of blank pages at the end of your latest novel Embassytown. While I was broken down over the 4th of July weekend on the side of the road, I was able to make a sign with one of them ("Cell Phone?") and get people to stop and pull over so I could first call my friend to come pick me and my bike up and then call my wife to say I wasn't going to make the trip to her family's. Then, as I sat there waiting for an hour and a half, I was able to read more of the book which I thoroughly enjoyed.

So thank you, Mr Mieville, for your good book and the extra blank page at the back.

Best Wishes,
Theaty Hannington

PS - By the way, have you ever been broken down for more than a few hours on an American Rural Highway? It changes everything.

No comments: